BRIDGE Activity for 9th Grade Students -
Save 3 careers to portfolio
- To access the Georgia Career Information System (GCIS) for this activity, first log into your Infinite Campus Portal.
- Student account username: 5-digit student number/lunch number (e.g., 12345)
- For most students, your student account password format is: first initial + last initial + 6-digit birthdate (e.g., the password of John Smith with birthdate 1/15/1995 would be js011595)
- For students who are brand new to the district, your student account password format is: last name + first initial + 6-digit birthdate (e.g., the pass word of Robin Hood with birthdate 1/15/1995 would be hoodr011595)
- Once logged into your IC Portal account, look on the lower left-hand menu for "More" and click it.
- On the More page, look to the right for the "SLDS Portal" link and click it.
- From your SLDS home page, click the tile for "My Career Plan."
- "My Career Plan" shows several steps for college and career planning, all of which are part of your BRIDGE Law activities from 6th through 12th grade. Today, we will use the "Occupation Exploration" step--please click that step.
- Now, many of you will see occupations titles that you saved to your GCIS portfolio in an 8th grade activity last year. Don't worry if no occupations show up, though! However many you may have saved already, today we all need to save 3 more occupations to our portfolio. To begin this, click the blue "Choose Your Occupation" button.
- Use the alphabetical index to find the first letter of an occupation/job title that you're interested in. Click the occupation title of interest when you find it.
- To learn more about the occupation, click each topic on the left side of the screen.
- Click "Save" to add the occupation to your portfolio for easier future access. The Save button is on the upper-right hand area of the occupation's profile.
- On this next screen, you have an opportunity to add notes about the occupation. You do not have to use the note space, but if you want you can use this space to enter your thoughts about the occupation.
For example, you might note what you learned about the occupation, or what about it interests you. (Later on, this note will appear in your portfolio beside the occupation title that you saved!).
After you have added a note (or decided not to), click "Save Information."
- Now, you can return to the occupations list by clicking "Occupations" on the top menu bar to show the occupations menu, and from that menu click "Occupations" from the second column of that menu. This returns you to what you saw at Step 6.
Repeat Steps 6 through 9 until you have saved at least 3 new occupations to your portfolio today.
- IF YOU FINISH WITH TIME LEFTOVER, please do one or more of the following:
- Explore your saved occupations more closely (What level of education is required for this occupation? Is the field growing or shrinking? etc.).
- Find and save additional occupations of interest.
- Take the Interest Profiler (found under Assessments menu)! There are likely some occupations that you have not heard of that match your interests. An interest inventory can open your eyes to jobs you may love but didn't know existed!
- Now, whenever you return to your Career Plan on SLDS, your careers of interest can be easily found and explored through your portfolio!