Reality Store Survey (gives us info for a 9th grade class activity coming up in December)
BRIDGE Activity for 9th Grade Students -
Save 3 careers to portfolio
- To access the Georgia Career Information System (GCIS) for this activity, first log into your Infinite Campus Portal.
- Student account username: 5-digit student number/lunch number (e.g., 12345)
- Student account password: First initial + last initial + 6-digit birthdate (e.g., the password of John Smith with birthdate 1/15/1995 would be js011595)
- Once logged into your IC Portal account, look on the lower left-hand menu for "SLDS" and click it. This brings you to your SLDS home page. SLDS is the state's catch-all for your digital educational records--such details as your course history, state standardized testing (e.g., EOG tests) history, and more. Now, SLDS also links to your college and career planning portfolio on GCIS!
- From your SLDS home page, click the button for "My Career Plan."
- "My Career Plan" shows several steps for college and career planning, all of which are part of your BRIDGE Law activities from 6th through 12th grade. Today, we will use the "Occupation Exploration" step--please click that step.
- Now, many of you will see occupations titles that you saved to your GCIS portfolio in an 8th grade activity last year. Don't worry if no occupations show up, though! Through this activity, we will each learn (or practice) saving more occupations to this portfolio. To begin exploring the occupations themselves, click the blue "Choose Your Occupation" button.
- Use the alphabetical index to find the first letter of an occupation/job title that you're interested in. Click the occupation title when you find it.
- To learn more about the occupation, click each topic on the left side of the screen.
- Click "Save" to add the occupation to your portfolio for easier future access. The Save button is on the upper-right hand area of the occupation's profile.
- In this next step, you have an opportunity to add notes about the occupation. You do not have to use the note space, but in the space provided, you may enter your thoughts about the occupation. For example, you might note what you learned about the occupation, or what about it interests you. (Later on, this note will appear in your portfolio beside the occupation title that you saved!). After you have added a note (or decided not to), click "Save Information."
- Now, you can return to the occupations list by clicking "Occupations" on the top menu bar to show the occupations menu, and from that menu click "Occupations" from the second column of that menu. This returns you to what you saw at Step 6. Repeat Steps 6 through 10 until you have saved 3 occupations to your portfolio today.
- Now, whenever you return to your Career Plan on SLDS, you can review what you have saved to your portfolio and more quickly access the occupation profiles you saved for further exploration!